If we look at the history of Tripura, not so long before, just before 31st Aug, 1970 there was only one district run by one Deputy Commissioner, on 1st sept, 1970 there was three district(North, South, West) and on 16th April, 1995 introduced new one Dhalai. Now as on 21st January, 2012 there are 8 districts and following are the list of districts along with there brief introduction.
- Total area of the district 983.63 sq.km.
- Divided into three sub-divisions - Jirania, Mohonpur and Sadar.
- District headquarter is located at Agartala(The capital of the state).
- As of 2012 it is the most populous district of Tripura (out of 8 districts).
- Bounded by Bangladesh in the north and west by Khowai district in the east and by Sepahijala.
- Total area of the district 1,422.19 Sq. Km.
- Divided into three sub-divisions - Dharmanagar, Kanchanpur and Panisagar
- It has eight Blocks - Panisagar, Kadamtala, Damcherra, Dasda, Jubarajnagar, Laljuri, Kalacherra and Jampui Hill.
- There is one Municipal corporation at Dharmanagar & one Nagar Panchayat at Panisagar
- Main tribes of the District are Tripuri, Koloi,Halam, Chakma.
- Two Hill ranges - Jampui, Sakan run almost parallal to each other in the District.
- "Betling Chip", the highest point of the state(939m.ht.), is located in the District in the Jampui range.
- Deo, Manu, Longai and Juri are the main rivers.
- District headquarter is located at Belonia.
- The district has 3 Sub-Divisions, 8 RD Blocks, 3 Nagar Pachayats, 90 GPs and 70 ADC Villages.
- Total area of the district 1514.322 Sq. Km.
- Connected with the State Capital (Agartala) through National Highway 44.
- Trishna Wildlife Sanctuary under Rajnagar Block and Pilak under Jolaibari have the potential to become major tourist attractions.
- The District headquarter at Ambassa is located at a distance of about 85 km from the State capital Agartala.
- Total area of the district 2426 Sq. Km.
- It is mainly located between two hills namely 'Atharamura range' & 'Sakhan Range'.
- More than 70% area is hilly and forest covered.
- Major rivers originating from Dhalai are Dhalai, Khowai, Gomati & Manu.
- Major hills are Atharamura, Longtharai, Kalajhari & part of Sakhan.
- It is connected through National Highway NH-44 with the state capital Agartala.
- The District is surrounded by Bangladesh on the Northern & Southern sides.
- Total area of the district 686.97 Sq. Km.
- It is bounded by Bangladesh on the Western side, North Tripura District on the Eastern side and Dhalai District on the South-western side.
- District headquarter is located at Kailashahar.
- The District and divided into two sub-divisions, namely Kailashahar and Kumarghat.
- It has three Blocks namely Kumarghat, Pecharthal and Gournagar.
- There are 30 GPs and 7 ADC villages in Kailashahar Sub-division and, 21 GPs and 20 ADC villages in Kumarghat Sub-division, taking the total to 78 GPs and ADC villages combined.
- There are 15 wards in Kailshahar NP and 11 wards in Kumarghat NP.
- Total area of the district 1043.58 Sq. Km.
- Sepahijala notified as a district on 8.11.2011(Vide Notification No.F.4(62)-RCC/11 dated 8.11.2011)
- The district has 3 Sub Divisions, 7 blocks, 2 Nagar Panchayats, 9 Assembly seats & 3 ADC seats.
- Total area of the district 1393.11 Sq Km (about 13.27% of the total state area).
- District headquarter is located at Udaipur.
- District is bounded by Dhalai District, Khowai District, Sipahijala District and South Tripura District.
- There are 3 Sub-Division and 8 Blocks.
- Major tribes in the district are: Tripuri, Jamatia, Reang, Chakma and Halam.
- Total no. of GPs/Villages, 165 (Non-ADC= 70 & ADC= 95) Nos.
- Total area of the district 1378.28 Sq. Km.
- It has 2 sub-divisions Khowai and Teliamura.
- District headquarter is located at Khowai.
- The main festivals of the town are Durga Puja, Kharchi, Garia Pooja, Tiring(Tripuri new year).
- 1 sub-divisional hospital – Khowai hospital, 5 Public Health centers, 43 health Sub-centers.
- There are two range sector office in the sub-division of Khowai - (i) Khowai & (ii) Padmabil.
- The Khowai range has 13578 hector land of forest whereas the Padmabil range has 6468 hector of forest land.